By Peter Labuza
Read or Download Approaching the End: Imagining Apocalypse in American Film PDF
Similar film & video art books
Because the days of silent movies, song has been indispensable to the cinematic adventure, serving, variously, to allay audiences' fears of the darkish and to intensify a film's emotional effect. but audience are frequently blind to its presence. during this daring, insightful e-book, movie and tune student and critic Royal S.
Probably the most influential figures in documentary and ethnographic filmmaking, Jean Rouch has made a couple of hundred movies in West Africa and France. In such acclaimed works as Jaguar, The Lion Hunters, and Cocorico, Monsieur Poulet, Rouch has explored racism, colonialism, African modernity, non secular ritual, and song.
Few contemporary books on global cinema research motion pictures and the careers of overseas movie artists in survey shape. At a time whilst movie scholarship has turn into entangled in pedantic discourse, Bert Cardullo analyzes one of the most vital motion pictures and the artists who produced them. past basic biographical drugs and plot summaries, those readings reveal with readability and magnificence how foreign moviemakers use the assets of the medium to pursue advanced, major human ambitions.
What's the dating among cinema and spectator? this can be the major query for movie conception, and one who Thomas Elsaesser and Malte Hagener placed on the heart in their insightful and interesting booklet, now revised from its renowned first version. all kinds of cinema (and each movie idea) first imagines a terrific spectator, after which maps definite dynamic interactions among the display and the spectator’s brain, physique and senses.
- James Bond and Popular Culture: Essays on the Influence of the Fictional Superspy
- Music in the Horror Film: Listening to Fear (Routledge Music and Screen Media)
- Raoul Walsh: The True Adventures of Hollywood's Legendary Director (Screen Classics)
- Just When You Thought It Was Safe: A Jaws Companion
- Think Outside the Box Office: The Ultimate Guide to Film Distribution and Marketing for the Digital Era
- Blossoms and Blood: Postmodern Media Culture and the Films of Paul Thomas Anderson
Extra resources for Approaching the End: Imagining Apocalypse in American Film
Approaching the End: Imagining Apocalypse in American Film by Peter Labuza